in all honesty

August 12, 2017

Do you ever find yourself scrolling through beautiful pictures on Instagram, comparing yourself and your life to the seemingly perfect lives of seemingly perfect people you see portrayed there? I must admit I've caught myself doing that almost every single day over the past couple of weeks. 

I find myself wishing I had the perfect #beachbody, wishing I was all around #blessed and #happy, wishing my relationship was #goals and my life filled with endless #summervibes. I find myself wishing for a coffee in an instagrammable cup, wishing I had a cute dog to take pictures with, wishing my apartment looked as nice as the ones of those interior bloggers do. I'm well aware that the pictures posted on social media only show half the truth. People only share what they want others to see and those things are often staged and far from reality. Everybody does that. Myself included. But still, I compare my life to the life of strangers. It's stupid. I know that.

Nobody's life is perfect. Even if it may seem that way. Everyone is struggling in one way or another, though some people are quite good at keeping up appearances and pretending they're happy all the time. Others, not so much. I count myself among the latter. The truth is, I've had many bad days lately. I'm going through a lot at the moment and it is ... hard. I don't really know if you can tell, from the things I do or do not post on social media. Do the pictures I share convey the impression that I am happy and leading a fulfilling life? I don't think I'm the right person to judge that. 

Even if you met me in real life, you probably wouldn't realize that there's anything wrong with me. I could be having a good day, laughing and smiling as if everything were fine. But it's not. To be completely honest, I don't really know why I feel the need to share that. Or what the point of this whole post is, anyway. I've just always seen my blog as a diary of sorts. A place to share my pictures and my thoughts. These are my thoughts. And even if it is not easy, admiting that I am struggling, I still think it is important. Because it is okay. It's okay not to feel okay. It's okay not to have a perfect life. That shit doesn't exist anyway.


Pictures were taken and edited by Philipp Richter. Thanks for being amazing and letting me use them.

You Might Also Like

1 comment/s

  1. Hey' you're a member of the human race, so you have struggles. At least you have the wisdom to understand that people only put their best faces forward on Instagram and those other platforms. IMO, you have most of them beat by a mile as far as your talent and yes, beauty.

    ReplyDelete